Commonly known as Wild Garlic
- It has dainty mauve flowers all through the year.
- It's a very attractive, pleasing garden species and does very well in containers too.
- It grows easily in most soils.
- Enjoys full sun and can also be used as a ground cover.
- Grows to a height of 20-30cm.
- Great for that hot corner in your garden - can go for long periods without water - but does thrive with water.
- Seeds should be sown in spring.
- Hardy to USDA zone 8.
- It's a summer growing evergreen species.
- It smells of garlic if injured.
- It is fast growing and drought resistant.
- It is considered by the Zulus to be a good snake repellent and is planted around their homes for this reason.
- An infusion can be made by adding a bulb to boiling water – this mixture is then taken to relieve colds, coughs and flu and also to destroy intestinal worms.
- The flowers and leaves are also used as a hot, peppery seasoning with meat and potatoes.