Danielshoogte Private Reserve - Formerly 'Sun Mountain'
Our customers frequently ask us about accommodation on or near our farm so that they can see proteas in the wild. Many birders looking for "lifers" such as Protea Canary, Sugarbird, Cape Siskin and other birds endemic to the Cape Floristic Region are also interested.
We advise anybody looking for mountain accommodation to consider our neighbour at Danielshoogte, Danie Truter. He is the new owner of the former "Sun Mountain Farm".
DanielsHoogte Private Reserve
GPS: 32°41’04”S 18°32’10”E
DanielsHoogte is a working farm rich in Fynbos and situated at the top of Aurora Mountain, approximately 800 metres above sea level. This hidden gem boasts spectacular views of St Helena Bay on the beautiful West Coast as well as farmlands of Piketberg to the East. On a clear day Table Mountain is visible in the far distance.
DanielsHoogte is approximately 1.5 hours drive (180km) from CT International Airport and 40km from Velddrift at the Atlantic Ocean ; offering you a relaxed country getaway distant enough from the hustle and bustle of city life.
One is able to camp or stay in the self catering mountain cottages situated in various locations on the farm.
This private reserve boasts much fauna and flora to be appreciated by any lover of the outdoors.The fauna that has been sighted thus far is the Black Eagle, Klipspringer, Duiker, Fallow Deer, Lynx, Aardwolf, Dassies, Porcupine, Baboons , the rare Cape Eagle Owl and occasionally Leopard. It is a bird watcherâ€™s haven, with 85 different bird species having been sighted thus far. It is an absolute delight for the wildlife photographer.
The Protea Atlas Project has identified several endangered and endemic Protea species on the Reserve.
Hikers and cyclists are able to explore and enjoy the natural surrounds with many rocky outcrops and Bushman paintings to view. You can cool off in one of our dams on a hot summer day.
Birds spotted on the Mountain
Staying at Daniel's Hoogte
- Check-in time from 14:00 to 17:30 and Check-out time 10:00 unless by prior arrangement.
- Please note that all the cottages have an outside braai area with spectacular views of St Helena Bay
- Please bring your own linen and towels. Single bed linen and a towel can be provided at R20 per set on request.
- A non-refundable deposit of 50% is payable to secure your booking.
- Children under 6 years are free and children between 6 years and 12 years are half price.
- Day Visitors: R50 p/p per day for a picnic and activities
- Stay Overs : R30 p/p per day for activities
- Functions, team building workshops and small conferences are welcome. Please contact us for discussion on how best to accommodate your needs.
- No pets allowed for their security and safety
- Children are welcome but must be accompanied by an adult during hiking, cycling or swimming
- All activities at own risk and we require the signing of an Indemnity form prior to commencement of chosen activities
- Approaching of wildlife is prohibited as this is their natural habitat for you to observe and enjoy
- No smoking in the accommodation and utmost care is to be taken with extinguishing of cigarette butts and braai fires â€“ this is a fire sensitive area!!
- Vehicles must stay on the designated roads at all times
- On arrival please report to the office situated 5km from the main gate.
- Removal or disturbance of archeological finds, Bushman paintings, fauna and flora is strictly prohibited
- No vandalism will be tolerated
- Cell phone reception is intermittent
- The nearest petrol station is in Velddrif (40kms) or Piketberg (50kms)
- Office : 022 952 1740
- Daniel Truter : 082 7799333
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- GPS : 32o41'04"S - 18o32'10"E
- Bank: Standard Bank
- Branch: Vredenburg
- Acc name: DGT Trust
- Acc no: 077191331
- Acc type: Savings
Member of Velddrif Tourism
Member of Greater Cederberg Fire Protection Association