Commonly known as Carpet Geranium
- It is a herbaceous perennial and is very popular as a ground cover.
- It grows to a height of 30 cm and a spread of 50 cm or more.
- It has the most beautiful mauve flowers set in evergreen grey-green lacy leaves.
- It flowers from spring to winter.
- It can be grown in sun or shade - in shade the flowers are a deeper purple.
- The leaves make a refreshing healthy herbal cup of tea as they contain no caffeine. Add honey to sweeten.
- A stronger infusion of the leaves is recommended for expelling worms: a quarter of a cup of fresh leaves in a cup of boiling water, left to steep for 10 minutes, and then drunk in the morning. Repeat daily for 2 weeks. This mixture can also be added to your pets drinking water and expels the worms in less than 2 weeks.
- Half a handful of leaves in a cup of boiling water also helps with lower back pain, bladder infections and menstrual disorders.
- The flowers are edible and can be used in salads to add some colour.
- Sow seeds in autumn or spring.